If you are unable to sync your inReach device using the inReach Sync application and you receiving "Server Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel" follow the instructions below.
Note: This error is more likely to occur when the inReach Sync application is being used on a corporate network with high security settings or when Windows Root Certificates are out of date or missing.
Currently inReach Sync is tested and supported on the following operating systems.
- Windows 10
- Windows 8/8.1
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista (Not recommended)
- OSX 10.10 - Yosemite
- OSX 10.9 - Mavericks
- OSX 10.8 - Mountain Lion
- OSX 10.7 - Lion
- OSX 10.6.8 - Snow Leopard (Not recommended)
Solution 1: Try a different network
1. Connect to a different internet connection
- If a another internet connection is not available, you can try using your smartphone as a mobile hotspot. This will assist in ruling out any issues with your current network connection
2. Launch the inReach Sync application and sync your inReach device.
Solution 2: Update Root Certificates
1. Launch Internet Explorer.
2. Select the Settings icon followed by Internet Options.
3. Select the Content tab followed by Certificates.
4. Select the Trusted Root Certification Authorities tab and confirm the 2 highlighted entries below appear in the list.
- If they do appear, please proceed to Solution 3.
- If they do not appear, or only 1 of the 2 appear, please to step 5.
5. Return to Internet Explorer homepage and navigate to the Microsoft Update Catalog by clicking here.
- Note: The URL below must be opened in Internet Explorer
- URL: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=root%20certificate%20update
6. Select Install when prompted by Internet Explorer.
7. Select Add next to the appropriate update based on your Windows operating system.
8. Select View Basket located in the top right corner of the page, followed by Download.
9. Select Browse follwed by Desktop and select Continue to initiate the download.
10. Once the download has completed, the progress indicator will display Done
11. Run the downloaded file from your Desktop and the Root Certificate Catalog will be updated instantaneously.
12. Launch the inReach Sync application and sync your inReach device.
Solution 3: Open SSL port
1. Open Firewall setttings
- You may need to consult your network administrator for assistance
2. Allow access to SSL port 443.
3. Launch the inReach Sync application and sync your inReach device.