The DeLorme inReach system has been designed with intent of the inReach device user having to initiate the first point of contact to an email recipient or SMS destination number. This is why the inReach device does not have an associated email address or SMS number which can be used to initate messages to the inReach device.
There are a few methods which can be used to initiate messages to the inReach device user.
- Enable MapShare by navigating to https://explore.delorme.com and clicking on the Social tab or click here for instructions
- Once MapShare has been enabled and configured you can distribute the MapShare URL to the desired individuals.
- These individuals can then use the MapShare to initiate messages to the inReach device user.
- Compose and send at least 1 message to the desired email recipients.
- A secure URL is sent to each of the receipients.
- This URL is unique and can only be used by the intended recipient.
- Compose and send at least 1 message to the desired SMS recipients.
- The SMS recipient will receive a message from a temporary SMS number.
- This number can be used to initate messages to the inReach device user however it should not be relied upon as it does have the ability to change any time the device is synchronized or if 20 or more different SMS recipients have been messaged from the inReach device.
NOTE: We recommend the email workaround over the SMS workaround for increased reliability as the secure URL provided in the email notification does not change.